The Rainbow after the StormYesterday we had one of the most disastrous opening ever. I shaln't elaborate more about it or point fingers at anyone because there's no point crying over spilled milk. After I came out of the stage, I told myself that I've tried my best to work on the recovery. I don't know if anyone could understand, but it was so hard to tell myself to get back on track after the opening song. Yanwen said that I look as if I could drop my sticks anytime and walk off the stage. And I think that's pretty true. I was rushing to end Hysteria very badly. But after the first song, I told myself that since the first song is screwed, I just needed to play my best for the next 3 in hope of a recovery. And I did. Much thanks to Yi Sheng for encouraging me all the way and keeping me on after the disastrous start. And much thanks for the encore from the crowd which gave us a chance to show a better "Hysteria".
But I guess yesterday performance wasn't a total failure. I felt that we managed to work our way back for the 3rd, 4th and 5th song (3:45 coincidentally) despite the tremendous drop in confidence level. And that's whats most important ain't it? Haha.
We've also managed to take back many learning points through this peformance. I guess it was a bad choice to do 4 tough MUSE songs right from the start given only 1 week of preparation time. Even though Zhi ler, bear and I started playing MUSE since the start of the year, Paul and Wen Song didn't have enough time to prepare sufficiently. Hence, naturally, we were not sufficiently prepared for a recovery in case of a screw up. I found out too that for once, Zhi Ler actually felt insecure over the performance. But we neglected our insercurities and went ahead with the performance thinking that everything would turn out fine. Bad choice. I guess we were just too over-confident after a successful Rock Night. Year End Celebrations (YEC) has finally revealed our immaturity towards music.
I think we can gain the most experience only through a failure. As a young band, We've still much to learn. I hope you guys will still be there for us after YEC because we need you guys to make a next performance successful. And to those who didn't managed to watch our Rock Night performance, I hope you guys will still believe that Talentime and YEC are NOT our best performances.
We're not giving up.